Wednesday, December 07, 2005

#10 - Life According to SpongeBob Squarepants (archive August 2004)


Some cartoons are infinitely better than others.

So much of what children view on television is pablum for the mind. I have never understood why adults feel they need to "dummy" down shows directed at a young audience.

Although I am not a big fan of the Nickleodean monopoly of marketing to children...one shining little star pokes through all the drab silliness of children's television shows.

SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS

My son has gone absolutely flippy for this show. Being the type of parent I am... I watch too, so I know what his young mind is being exposed to.

I thought...

okay...

get yourself ready for some absolutely horrendous television, with lame loud jokes and no plot.

I was happily surprised.

Spongebob is the underdog's hero.

He is purely Spongebob and he makes no apologies for the guy he is. Everyday is an adventure, he likes everyone, and he loves his job...actually, there are so many great lessons being shown on this show that I decided to sum them up.

LIFE ACCORDING TO SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS

1. Wake up every morning with a smile on your face.

2. Jump out of your bed happily shouting "I'm ready!"

3. Love your job.

4. Be proud of your accomplishments.

5. Be a good friend.

6. Love your enemies.

7. Everyone is a potential friend.

8. Interact with everyone believing that they will like you just as much as you like them.

9. PLAY!

10. Be honest.

11. Work hard.

12. Sleep well.

13. Eat weird stuff once in awhile, but make sure you include ice cream.

14. Share your imagination with your friends.

15. A little competition is a good thing.

16. Try something new.

17. Have some really great hobbies.

18. Honor your parents.

19. Help someone in need.

20. Never ever pretend to be a lifeguard when you do not know how to swim.

No comments: