Tuesday, January 17, 2006

#17 - Kugla, Fran & Ollie with Dreams of Mr. Beeper (Archive 10/22/04)



"Assignment: What gone, but not forgotten, TV series do you miss the most?

Extra Credit: If you had to be on a game show or reality show, which one would it be?"

I miss Kugla, Fran, and Ollie.

There were two goofball hand puppets and a chirpy woman...I remember that.

I think the show was aired during those obscure Saturday hours between noon and 4pm... the Dead Zone.

I also remember watching the same kid's movie over and over again. This was the "feature" shown by Kugla, Fran and Ollie. I think the movie was called "Skinny and Fatty" the sad tale of two Asian kids who were the underdogs in the politics of the playground.

They probably triumphed over all. That's the way those kid's movies always ended. You know...who would want to watch Fatty get fatter and Skinny get skinnier?

The real obsession for me were the hand puppets.

I wanted to be a puppeteer when I grew up.

Well... I didn't... but I did teach for about 10 years.

And guess what?

I made up the talking hands that taught my little rug ape students grammar.

I called them Ottilie and Odetta Ottomottopeia. I used silly voices and told tales of Ottilie and Odetta's travels. The third graders loved that and we trudged through the "boring" grammar stuff with loads of giggles.

Long before Mr. Garrison and his schizophrenegenic "Mr. Hand".

We had a local kid's show where I grew up called Rocketship 7.

This one had a guy, a robot and a super cool hand puppet named Mr. Beeper.

I LOVED Mr. Beeper. I wanted THAT job!!

Well, guess what...some 35 years later and I finally got to meet Mr. Beeper's creator! I gave him a big hug... he made me laugh during my childhood... no small fete...but that is a story saved for some long drawn out novel... or not.

Anyway... Mr. Beeper's creator's wife works for my Hubby!

Too cool... talk about synchronicity!

I finally got to meet Mr. Beeper's creator. In the parking lot at a movie theater. I ran up and gave him a great big hug... just like we had been lifelong pals.

That was one of those wonderful moments in life just too cool for words.

:)



*************************************************************
I think I would want to be on Jeopardy. But, only if Alex Trebek grows back his mustache.



http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:t5ho8p4DfHYJ:www.ioffer.com/i/Skinny-Fatty-1958-RARE-4187121+%22children%27s+film+festival%22+%22skinny+and+fatty%22&hl=en&ie=UTF-8This link should hook you up with a VHS "Skinny and Fatty" at least. If you ever find it on DVD, I'd love a copy myself! Comment from dracu12 - 5/9/05 8:35 AM

I WISH THERE WAS A WAY TO GET A DVD OR VIDEO OF THE MOVIE SKINNY AND FATTY...BRINGS BACK MANY MEMORIES.Comment from pixturman58 - 12/23/04 11:18 PM

I remember Kukla, Fran and Ollie!! My favorite one was Cinderella and the Three Nuts.... Wow, thanks for that memory, now I wonder if I can find that story anywhere on VHS or DVD. I really loved that episode. ::Off to search the web for old episodes ::Comment from astaryth - 11/6/04 2:23 PM

This is a show that goes way back. I think it was Kukla, Fran and Ollie. I always thought it would be rather amusing to give these names to a set of triplets (would have to be the right combination of sexes, however). Thank goodness, I was never blessed with such an event!Comment from springsnymph - 10/25/04 12:01 PM

OH Yeah, I used to beg to watch Kugla Fran and Ollie. Our TV did not always get all the stations and sometimes I'd have to scour the neighborhood to find someone willing to tune in this magical show. This show along with Mr. Rogers Neighborhood, and Sherri Lewis and Lamb Chops had a profound influence on me. I AM a puppeteer and storyteller, as well as an educator, and I can trace some of my love for puppeteering back to these magical, wonderful, child centered shows. Another you have brought to mind was Captain Kangaroo and his mischievous character Bunny Rabbit. I was blessed to have met and conversed with both Sheri Lewis and Bob Keeshan (Captain Kangaroo) before they died. Sounds like you were and AWESOME educator! Please feel welcome to pop on over to my journal and read about my favorite TV show recollection .. besides the ones your wonderful entry inspired me to remember. Warmest regards.http://journals.aol.com/madmanadhd/ConfessionsofaMadmanInsightsinto/entries/595Comment from madmanadhd - 10/22/04 6:57 PM

No comments: